Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

Brian Demers
For 2.0 should we _stop_ supporting the CAS module in favor of buji-pac4j
(which uses Shiro).

We seem to be leaning that way:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-402

If that is the path we want to go down, I'm guessing the migration path
would be mostly just be shiro.ini changes (and obviously a few
dependencies).

I personally have not use the CAS realm or buji-pac4j, so if I'm way off
this please chime in.

-Brian

Re: Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

jleleu
Hi,

As the core developer of pac4j, I highly support this idea: I don't want to do the job twice (this is one of the main ideas behind pac4j BTW).

You must notice that buji-pac4j brings CAS support, but also OAuth, OpenID Connect, Google App Engine, SAML supports...

So a big +1 to remove the CAS module in favor of buji-pac4j in Shiro 2.

The only downside of this approach is that the Shiro community must follow the pac4j strategy on some points, like the fact pac4j v1.9 (the latest version) is Java 8 only.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Jérôme

For 2.0 should we _stop_ supporting the CAS module in favor of buji-pac4j
(which uses Shiro).

We seem to be leaning that way:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-402

If that is the path we want to go down, I'm guessing the migration path
would be mostly just be shiro.ini changes (and obviously a few
dependencies).

I personally have not use the CAS realm or buji-pac4j, so if I'm way off
this please chime in.

-Brian

http://shiro-developer.582600.n2.nabble.com/Future-CAS-module-support-in-Shiro-tp7579204.html
To start a new topic under Shiro Developer, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Shiro Developer, click here.
NAML

Re: Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

Brian Demers
Re: java 8.  I think that might be fine.

We would need to deprecate shiro-cas in 1.3, we can still accept minor cas
patches if someone wants to take this on (or possibly just recommend
forking shiro-cas?) So there would still be a working module on older JVMs

As for 2.0 we need to think about what JDK versions we support (on a
different thread)

http://shiro-developer.582600.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml

Re: Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

Brian Demers
Jérôme any chance you can point us to a doc or example migrating from
shiro-cas to shiro + buji-pac4j + cas ?

I can go through and deprecate everything in shiro-cas, but I would be nice
to point to a how-to doc

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Brian Demers <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Re: java 8.  I think that might be fine.
>
> We would need to deprecate shiro-cas in 1.3, we can still accept minor cas
> patches if someone wants to take this on (or possibly just recommend
> forking shiro-cas?) So there would still be a working module on older JVMs
>
> As for 2.0 we need to think about what JDK versions we support (on a
> different thread)
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, jleleu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As the core developer of pac4j, I highly support this idea: I don't want
>> do the job twice (this is one of the main ideas behind pac4j BTW).
>>
>> You must notice that buji-pac4j brings CAS support, but also OAuth, OpenID
>> Connect, Google App Engine, SAML supports...
>>
>> So a big +1 to remove the CAS module in favor of buji-pac4j in Shiro 2.
>>
>> The only downside of this approach is that the Shiro community must follow
>> the pac4j strategy on some points, like the fact pac4j v1.9 (the latest
>> version) is Java 8 only.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Best regards,
>> Jérôme

>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>> > For 2.0 should we _stop_ supporting the CAS module in favor of
>> buji-pac4j
>> > (which uses Shiro).
>> >
>> > We seem to be leaning that way:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-402
>> >

>> > If that is the path we want to go down, I'm guessing the migration path
>> > would be mostly just be shiro.ini changes (and obviously a few
>> > dependencies).
>> >
>> > I personally have not use the CAS realm or buji-pac4j, so if I'm way off
>> > this please chime in.
>> >
>> > -Brian

>> > <
>> >
>> > .
>> > NAML
>> > <

http://shiro-developer.582600.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml

Re: Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

jleleu
Good point. There is no such doc / example currently. What do you think of adding a section in the README of buji-pac4j for that?

http://shiro-developer.582600.n2.nabble.com/Future-CAS-module-support-in-Shiro-tp7579204p7579244.html
NAML

Re: Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

Brian Demers
+1

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:02 AM, jleleu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Re: Future CAS module support in Shiro ?

I'm working on buji-pac4j v2, I'll do that...

http://shiro-developer.582600.n2.nabble.com/Future-CAS-module-support-in-Shiro-tp7579204p7579246.html