Preparing for an Apache release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Preparing for an Apache release

Les Hazlewood-2
After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to do a 0.9.1
release.
The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official Apache
release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.

In essence, there would be zero difference in code or functionality with
0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.

I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache release
under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good to have
an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache community.

Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Emmanuel Lécharny
Hi Les,

I'm wondering if it's important to release under Apache immediately
after the code import, until we have meet some minimal requirements
(headers, notices, etc). The initial injection of code in the SVN repo
will be like a tag, and if we have nightly builds, the the project can
be downloaded.

thoughts ?

Les Hazlewood wrote:

> After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to do a 0.9.1
> release.
> The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official Apache
> release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
> NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.
>
> In essence, there would be zero difference in code or functionality with
> 0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.
>
> I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache release
> under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
> test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good to have
> an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache community.
>
> Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
>
>  


--
--
cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Les Hazlewood-2
Oh no - I wouldn't want it to be immediate - I'm saying it should wait until
all the minimal ASF requirements have been met.  Once they have been met, we
do a release as quickly as we can.  If this takes us two days after import,
then great.  If it takes 1 week, ok.  I'm just saying as fast as possible,
assuming we have the requirements taken care of.
This would 1) get us familiar with how to do an ASF release and 2) establish
a nice *stable* baseline from which all subsequent ASF releases can be made.

Does that sound like a good idea?

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Les,
>
> I'm wondering if it's important to release under Apache immediately after
> the code import, until we have meet some minimal requirements (headers,
> notices, etc). The initial injection of code in the SVN repo will be like a
> tag, and if we have nightly builds, the the project can be downloaded.
>
> thoughts ?
>
>
> Les Hazlewood wrote:
>
>> After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to do a
>> 0.9.1
>> release.
>> The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official Apache
>> release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
>> NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.
>>
>> In essence, there would be zero difference in code or functionality with
>> 0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.
>>
>> I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache release
>> under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
>> test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good to have
>> an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache community.
>>
>> Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> --
> cordialement, regards,
> Emmanuel Lécharny
> www.iktek.com
> directory.apache.org
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Emmanuel Lécharny
Les Hazlewood wrote:

> Oh no - I wouldn't want it to be immediate - I'm saying it should wait until
> all the minimal ASF requirements have been met.  Once they have been met, we
> do a release as quickly as we can.  If this takes us two days after import,
> then great.  If it takes 1 week, ok.  I'm just saying as fast as possible,
> assuming we have the requirements taken care of.
> This would 1) get us familiar with how to do an ASF release and 2) establish
> a nice *stable* baseline from which all subsequent ASF releases can be made.
>
> Does that sound like a good idea?
>  
Yep. But be aware that it might take more than 2 days :)

--
--
cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Les Hazlewood
Administrator
That's fine :)
Are there shell scripts or tools that we can use to verify the source tree
complies with the minimal requirements?

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Les Hazlewood wrote:
>
>> Oh no - I wouldn't want it to be immediate - I'm saying it should wait
>> until
>> all the minimal ASF requirements have been met.  Once they have been met,
>> we
>> do a release as quickly as we can.  If this takes us two days after
>> import,
>> then great.  If it takes 1 week, ok.  I'm just saying as fast as possible,
>> assuming we have the requirements taken care of.
>> This would 1) get us familiar with how to do an ASF release and 2)
>> establish
>> a nice *stable* baseline from which all subsequent ASF releases can be
>> made.
>>
>> Does that sound like a good idea?
>>
>>
> Yep. But be aware that it might take more than 2 days :)
>
>
> --
> --
> cordialement, regards,
> Emmanuel Lécharny
> www.iktek.com
> directory.apache.org
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Joshua Partogi-2
In reply to this post by Les Hazlewood-2
I agree with you Les, I think the sooner we put a release under apache
would be great. At least this will create less defects in the future
for those who are migrating to the Apache release. Is there any help I
can do?

cheers.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to do a 0.9.1
> release.
> The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official Apache
> release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
> NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.
>
> In essence, there would be zero difference in code or functionality with
> 0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.
>
> I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache release
> under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
> test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good to have
> an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache community.
>
> Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
>



--
Commitment is what moves you forward
Persistency is what keeps you going
Passion is what takes you even further
http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Joshua,
As soon as our mentors tell us what exactly needs to be done, I'd be quite
happy to receive your help.  I don't know myself what is necessary at the
moment, but as soon as I do, you can be sure I'll ask for help :)

Thanks!

Les

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Joshua Partogi <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I agree with you Les, I think the sooner we put a release under apache
> would be great. At least this will create less defects in the future
> for those who are migrating to the Apache release. Is there any help I
> can do?
>
> cheers.
>
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to do a
> 0.9.1
> > release.
> > The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official Apache
> > release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
> > NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.
> >
> > In essence, there would be zero difference in code or functionality with
> > 0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.
> >
> > I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache release
> > under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
> > test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good to
> have
> > an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache
> community.
> >
> > Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Commitment is what moves you forward
> Persistency is what keeps you going
> Passion is what takes you even further
> http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Emmanuel Lécharny
In reply to this post by Les Hazlewood
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> That's fine :)
> Are there shell scripts or tools that we can use to verify the source tree
> complies with the minimal requirements?
>  
There is a mavn plugin/shell script you can use to check that you have
all the licenses setup correctly : 'rat' http://incubator.apache.org/rat/.

There are many other things to do, too, like setting up the web site,
defining some source structure, etc.

We can discuss those items here, but the best would be to create JIRAs
for those guys, so that we can check each step and close them as soon as
they are completed.

--
--
cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

Joshua Partogi-2
In reply to this post by Les Hazlewood-2
I'd really like to help for the maven release. Gotta learn ivy :-D

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
> As soon as our mentors tell us what exactly needs to be done, I'd be quite
> happy to receive your help.  I don't know myself what is necessary at the
> moment, but as soon as I do, you can be sure I'll ask for help :)

--
Commitment is what moves you forward
Persistency is what keeps you going
Passion is what takes you even further
http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Preparing for an Apache release

papajdo
In reply to this post by Les Hazlewood-2
First, import the outside code into the Apache repo. I'd suggest using  
a jsecurity/import directory and dump whatever history you want into  
it. The infrastructure folks can help with the import. The import with  
history will take up to a few weeks, so that's critical.

Next, look at other projects and how they are released. It might give  
you some ideas on how to repackage the 0.9.0 release if necessary to  
look like an Apache release. You might decide you like the release  
format, and just need to add signatures and checksums to make it an  
Apache release.

Then, start migrating code from import to trunk in the format you want  
to go with. Now would be a good time to validate that you like the  
structure or make some changes. Do the import and just change  
copyright notices, headers, and scripts to accommodate the new  
structure.

Once everything is in Apache repo, make a release candidate. Run rat  
on the release to verify license headers etc. Review the release  
process (necessarily broad) at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

And by the way, now would be a good time to update jsecurity/STATUS  
and add an incubator report to jsecurity/board/200809.txt for  
September's board meeting. Anyone with commit privileges can update/
add these files.

Craig

On Sep 5, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
> As soon as our mentors tell us what exactly needs to be done, I'd be  
> quite
> happy to receive your help.  I don't know myself what is necessary  
> at the
> moment, but as soon as I do, you can be sure I'll ask for help :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Les
>
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Joshua Partogi  
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I agree with you Les, I think the sooner we put a release under  
>> apache
>> would be great. At least this will create less defects in the future
>> for those who are migrating to the Apache release. Is there any  
>> help I
>> can do?
>>
>> cheers.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to  
>>> do a
>> 0.9.1
>>> release.
>>> The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official  
>>> Apache
>>> release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
>>> NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.
>>>
>>> In essence, there would be zero difference in code or  
>>> functionality with
>>> 0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache  
>>> release
>>> under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
>>> test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good  
>>> to
>> have
>>> an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache
>> community.
>>>
>>> Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Commitment is what moves you forward
>> Persistency is what keeps you going
>> Passion is what takes you even further
>> http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
>>
Craig L Russell
Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://java.sun.com/products/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!


smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Loading...