Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi team,

Over the last 2 weeks, it appears that we were finally able to whittle
down all of the most pressing bugs and issues.

There are a few outstanding issues attributed to 1.2 but none of them
are bugs.  We've waited so long to release 1.2, I personally don't
feel the outstanding issues are worth holding the 1.2 release up
further.  Here are the outstanding 1.2 issues (5 'improvement's and 1
'new feature'):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

Additionally, the latest non-Jira-generated release notes are here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shiro/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES

I would have liked the OpenID4J support module to be fully flushed
out, but it's not fully tested (I'd say its at about 85% complete).
My desire is to release 1.2 now and release the OpenId4J module in a
1.3.0 M1 (milestone 1) release shortly enough after 1.2 is released.
We've traditionally been rather lax on 'release early, release often',
which is a behavior I'd like to change if at all possible.

So, in summary, I'd like to release 1.2.0 asap and put OpenId4J
support module in a milestone release that isn't too far behind 1.2.

Thoughts?

Best,

--
Les Hazlewood
CTO, Katasoft | http://www.katasoft.com | 888.391.5282
katasoft blog: http://www.katasoft.com/blogs/lhazlewood
personal blog: http://leshazlewood.com

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Jared Bunting-2
Sounds reasonable to me.  None of those six tickets look critical for a
1.2.0 release.

I am definitely in favor of increasing our release frequency.

That being said, it would be nice to address SHIRO-338 as soon as
possible.  Les, do you have the ability to bump up the memory on our
Jenkins build?

Thanks,
Jared

On Tue 17 Jan 2012 03:47:27 PM CST, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> Over the last 2 weeks, it appears that we were finally able to whittle
> down all of the most pressing bugs and issues.
>
> There are a few outstanding issues attributed to 1.2 but none of them
> are bugs.  We've waited so long to release 1.2, I personally don't
> feel the outstanding issues are worth holding the 1.2 release up
> further.  Here are the outstanding 1.2 issues (5 'improvement's and 1
> 'new feature'):
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
>
> Additionally, the latest non-Jira-generated release notes are here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shiro/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES
>
> I would have liked the OpenID4J support module to be fully flushed
> out, but it's not fully tested (I'd say its at about 85% complete).
> My desire is to release 1.2 now and release the OpenId4J module in a
> 1.3.0 M1 (milestone 1) release shortly enough after 1.2 is released.
> We've traditionally been rather lax on 'release early, release often',
> which is a behavior I'd like to change if at all possible.
>
> So, in summary, I'd like to release 1.2.0 asap and put OpenId4J
> support module in a milestone release that isn't too far behind 1.2.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Best,

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Mamadou Bobo Diallo
I think shiro 1.2 will be great...
However, i suggest to look over this ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-331
I'm the one that added it a few months ago... i know it is just an
improvement, but by having used Shiro in many project i've found this
feature so cool that i don't know if i could use shiro ever without it.

I've already written the class that add this support and i think this is
going to be a major improvment to match Spring ACL in the way it allow
fexibility in permission checking.

2012/1/17 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>

> Hi team,
>
> Over the last 2 weeks, it appears that we were finally able to whittle
> down all of the most pressing bugs and issues.
>
> There are a few outstanding issues attributed to 1.2 but none of them
> are bugs.  We've waited so long to release 1.2, I personally don't
> feel the outstanding issues are worth holding the 1.2 release up
> further.  Here are the outstanding 1.2 issues (5 'improvement's and 1
> 'new feature'):
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
>
> Additionally, the latest non-Jira-generated release notes are here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shiro/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES
>
> I would have liked the OpenID4J support module to be fully flushed
> out, but it's not fully tested (I'd say its at about 85% complete).
> My desire is to release 1.2 now and release the OpenId4J module in a
> 1.3.0 M1 (milestone 1) release shortly enough after 1.2 is released.
> We've traditionally been rather lax on 'release early, release often',
> which is a behavior I'd like to change if at all possible.
>
> So, in summary, I'd like to release 1.2.0 asap and put OpenId4J
> support module in a milestone release that isn't too far behind 1.2.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Les Hazlewood
> CTO, Katasoft | http://www.katasoft.com | 888.391.5282
> twitter: @lhazlewood | http://twitter.com/lhazlewood
> katasoft blog: http://www.katasoft.com/blogs/lhazlewood
> personal blog: http://leshazlewood.com

--
Guru Software SARL

DIALLO Mamadou Bobo
Directeur
http://www.gurumades.ma

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Mamadou,

Yes, we'd love to have a proper expression grammar supported.  Would
you be willing to contribute a patch?

That being said, I personally don't feel that any time incurred for
this feature warrants delaying the 1.2.0 release further (just my
opinion).  This could be a good candidate for a soon-to-follow 1.3.0
M1 IMHO.

Again, the fastest way to incorporate new functionality is to submit
patches!  We welcome them all.

Best,

Les

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Mamadou Bobo Diallo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think shiro 1.2 will be great...
> However, i suggest to look over this ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-331
> I'm the one that added it a few months ago... i know it is just an
> improvement, but by having used Shiro in many project i've found this
> feature so cool that i don't know if i could use shiro ever without it.
>
> I've already written the class that add this support and i think this is
> going to be a major improvment to match Spring ACL in the way it allow
> fexibility in permission checking.
>
> 2012/1/17 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi team,
>>
>> Over the last 2 weeks, it appears that we were finally able to whittle
>> down all of the most pressing bugs and issues.
>>
>> There are a few outstanding issues attributed to 1.2 but none of them
>> are bugs.  We've waited so long to release 1.2, I personally don't
>> feel the outstanding issues are worth holding the 1.2 release up
>> further.  Here are the outstanding 1.2 issues (5 'improvement's and 1
>> 'new feature'):
>>

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
>>
>> Additionally, the latest non-Jira-generated release notes are here:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shiro/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES
>>
>> I would have liked the OpenID4J support module to be fully flushed
>> out, but it's not fully tested (I'd say its at about 85% complete).
>> My desire is to release 1.2 now and release the OpenId4J module in a
>> 1.3.0 M1 (milestone 1) release shortly enough after 1.2 is released.
>> We've traditionally been rather lax on 'release early, release often',
>> which is a behavior I'd like to change if at all possible.
>>
>> So, in summary, I'd like to release 1.2.0 asap and put OpenId4J
>> support module in a milestone release that isn't too far behind 1.2.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Les Hazlewood
>> CTO, Katasoft | http://www.katasoft.com | 888.391.5282
>> twitter: @lhazlewood | http://twitter.com/lhazlewood
>> katasoft blog: http://www.katasoft.com/blogs/lhazlewood
>> personal blog: http://leshazlewood.com
>>

> --
> Guru Software SARL
>
> DIALLO Mamadou Bobo
> Directeur
> http://www.gurumades.ma

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Mamadou Bobo Diallo
Hi. Didn't had much time to get into details on how the shiro community
work. I can contribute a patch as i already have it working in production
apps since a few months. I didn't posted a patch because i wanted to get
feedback on the proper way to add it: which package? should we put it
inside the spring module? and enable it only if SpEl is in the classpath?

I don't think this will delay 1.2... i can contribute the patch, have a few
of you look into it for peer review then should be fine. I think having
SpEl will be a great thing to add for this version.

--
Guru Software SARL

DIALLO Mamadou Bobo
Directeur
http://www.gurumades.ma

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Les Hazlewood-2
If it requires Spring EL, then yes, it must go in the Spring module
under org.apache.shiro.spring (or a sub package under that - whatever
you prefer), and yes, it should only be enabled if Spring EL is in the
classpath.  We'll be able to move things around as necessary once the
patch is imported.  One suggestion - and what I like to do - is to
mirror Spring's package structure (under org.apache.shiro.spring of
course) to retain parallel semantics.

HTH,

Les

P.S. Please open a new discussion thread or Jira issue for further
discussion about this issue's particular details.  This thread should
remain focused on the 1.2.0 release.  Thanks!

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Mamadou Bobo Diallo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. Didn't had much time to get into details on how the shiro community
> work. I can contribute a patch as i already have it working in production
> apps since a few months. I didn't posted a patch because i wanted to get
> feedback on the proper way to add it: which package? should we put it
> inside the spring module? and enable it only if SpEl is in the classpath?
>
> I don't think this will delay 1.2... i can contribute the patch, have a few
> of you look into it for peer review then should be fine. I think having
> SpEl will be a great thing to add for this version.
>
> 2012/1/17 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Mamadou,
>>
>> Yes, we'd love to have a proper expression grammar supported.  Would
>> you be willing to contribute a patch?
>>
>> That being said, I personally don't feel that any time incurred for
>> this feature warrants delaying the 1.2.0 release further (just my
>> opinion).  This could be a good candidate for a soon-to-follow 1.3.0
>> M1 IMHO.
>>
>> Again, the fastest way to incorporate new functionality is to submit
>> patches!  We welcome them all.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Mamadou Bobo Diallo
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I think shiro 1.2 will be great...
>> > However, i suggest to look over this ticket:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-331
>> > I'm the one that added it a few months ago... i know it is just an
>> > improvement, but by having used Shiro in many project i've found this
>> > feature so cool that i don't know if i could use shiro ever without it.
>> >
>> > I've already written the class that add this support and i think this is
>> > going to be a major improvment to match Spring ACL in the way it allow
>> > fexibility in permission checking.

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

>> > --
>> > Guru Software SARL
>> >
>> > DIALLO Mamadou Bobo
>> > Directeur
>> > http://www.gurumades.ma

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Jared Bunting-2
As I commented in the ticket, I'm interested in the overlap with
SHIRO-314.

That being said, I think that the goal of releasing 1.2.0 as soon as
possible would be hampered by adding new features at this stage.  I
vote that we target it for a 1.3.0M1 release.

Thanks,
Jared

On Tue 17 Jan 2012 04:19:25 PM CST, Mamadou Bobo Diallo wrote:

> Hi. Didn't had much time to get into details on how the shiro community
> work. I can contribute a patch as i already have it working in production
> apps since a few months. I didn't posted a patch because i wanted to get
> feedback on the proper way to add it: which package? should we put it
> inside the spring module? and enable it only if SpEl is in the classpath?
>
> I don't think this will delay 1.2... i can contribute the patch, have a few
> of you look into it for peer review then should be fine. I think having
> SpEl will be a great thing to add for this version.
>
> 2012/1/17 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Mamadou,
>>
>> Yes, we'd love to have a proper expression grammar supported.  Would
>> you be willing to contribute a patch?
>>
>> That being said, I personally don't feel that any time incurred for
>> this feature warrants delaying the 1.2.0 release further (just my
>> opinion).  This could be a good candidate for a soon-to-follow 1.3.0
>> M1 IMHO.
>>
>> Again, the fastest way to incorporate new functionality is to submit
>> patches!  We welcome them all.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Mamadou Bobo Diallo
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think shiro 1.2 will be great...
>>> However, i suggest to look over this ticket:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-331
>>> I'm the one that added it a few months ago... i know it is just an
>>> improvement, but by having used Shiro in many project i've found this
>>> feature so cool that i don't know if i could use shiro ever without it.
>>>
>>> I've already written the class that add this support and i think this is
>>> going to be a major improvment to match Spring ACL in the way it allow
>>> fexibility in permission checking.

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

>>> --
>>> Guru Software SARL
>>>
>>> DIALLO Mamadou Bobo
>>> Directeur
>>> http://www.gurumades.ma

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Les Hazlewood-2
+1 to wait to add this to 1.3.0.M1  Adding in features last minute
with no community testing is never a good idea.

This is another reason why I'm advocating Milestone releases in the
future - the more people using it for testing the better.  More people
will use an M1/2/3/etc release than are willing to use a snapshot
release.  This helps ensure stability sooner for the final release
IMO.

Mamadou, we'll be very happy to get your patch and incorporate it as
soon as possible!

Regards,

Les

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Jared Bunting
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I commented in the ticket, I'm interested in the overlap with
> SHIRO-314.
>
> That being said, I think that the goal of releasing 1.2.0 as soon as
> possible would be hampered by adding new features at this stage.  I
> vote that we target it for a 1.3.0M1 release.
>
> Thanks,
> Jared
>
> On Tue 17 Jan 2012 04:19:25 PM CST, Mamadou Bobo Diallo wrote:
>> Hi. Didn't had much time to get into details on how the shiro community
>> work. I can contribute a patch as i already have it working in production
>> apps since a few months. I didn't posted a patch because i wanted to get
>> feedback on the proper way to add it: which package? should we put it
>> inside the spring module? and enable it only if SpEl is in the classpath?
>>
>> I don't think this will delay 1.2... i can contribute the patch, have a few
>> of you look into it for peer review then should be fine. I think having
>> SpEl will be a great thing to add for this version.
>>
>> 2012/1/17 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi Mamadou,
>>>
>>> Yes, we'd love to have a proper expression grammar supported.  Would
>>> you be willing to contribute a patch?
>>>
>>> That being said, I personally don't feel that any time incurred for
>>> this feature warrants delaying the 1.2.0 release further (just my
>>> opinion).  This could be a good candidate for a soon-to-follow 1.3.0
>>> M1 IMHO.
>>>
>>> Again, the fastest way to incorporate new functionality is to submit
>>> patches!  We welcome them all.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Les

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Mamadou Bobo Diallo
Great then, i'll submit a patch later today or tomorow and you're right,
community testing is important.

--
Guru Software SARL

DIALLO Mamadou Bobo
Directeur
http://www.gurumades.ma

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

kaosko
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I commented in the ticket, I'm interested in the overlap with
> SHIRO-314.

I'm interested in the topic as well and completely agree with Jared
that there's some overlap, which is also why the issue shouldn't go
into 1.2. OpenID4J shouldn't be on the critical path to 1.2 either,
it's a new support module.

> That being said, I think that the goal of releasing 1.2.0 as soon as
> possible would be hampered by adding new features at this stage.  I
> vote that we target it for a 1.3.0M1 release.

Thanks Les for putting in the work and sorry I didn't have time to
participate much this time around. My time has started to free up from
hectic development on the day job but other open source commitments
keep sucking all of it so far. I'm running multiple projects against
1.2.0 snapshot and I've got a lot of releases pending, so the timing
for Shiro 1.2 is excellent.

Kalle

> On Tue 17 Jan 2012 04:19:25 PM CST, Mamadou Bobo Diallo wrote:
>> Hi. Didn't had much time to get into details on how the shiro community
>> work. I can contribute a patch as i already have it working in production
>> apps since a few months. I didn't posted a patch because i wanted to get
>> feedback on the proper way to add it: which package? should we put it
>> inside the spring module? and enable it only if SpEl is in the classpath?
>>
>> I don't think this will delay 1.2... i can contribute the patch, have a few
>> of you look into it for peer review then should be fine. I think having
>> SpEl will be a great thing to add for this version.
>>
>> 2012/1/17 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi Mamadou,
>>>
>>> Yes, we'd love to have a proper expression grammar supported.  Would
>>> you be willing to contribute a patch?
>>>
>>> That being said, I personally don't feel that any time incurred for
>>> this feature warrants delaying the 1.2.0 release further (just my
>>> opinion).  This could be a good candidate for a soon-to-follow 1.3.0
>>> M1 IMHO.
>>>
>>> Again, the fastest way to incorporate new functionality is to submit
>>> patches!  We welcome them all.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Les

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+SHIRO+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.2.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Les Hazlewood-2
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Kalle Korhonen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Jared Bunting
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As I commented in the ticket, I'm interested in the overlap with
>> SHIRO-314.
>
> I'm interested in the topic as well and completely agree with Jared
> that there's some overlap, which is also why the issue shouldn't go
> into 1.2. OpenID4J shouldn't be on the critical path to 1.2 either,
> it's a new support module.
>
>> That being said, I think that the goal of releasing 1.2.0 as soon as
>> possible would be hampered by adding new features at this stage.  I
>> vote that we target it for a 1.3.0M1 release.
>
> Thanks Les for putting in the work and sorry I didn't have time to
> participate much this time around. My time has started to free up from
> hectic development on the day job but other open source commitments
> keep sucking all of it so far. I'm running multiple projects against
> 1.2.0 snapshot and I've got a lot of releases pending, so the timing
> for Shiro 1.2 is excellent.

No worries Kalle - always glad to have your review though!

Cheers,

Les

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

thibault tigeon
Hi all,
What do you think about this JIRA
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-337?
Would it be possible to include CDI module in version 1.3.0M1 release ?

Regards,

Thibault

2012/1/18 Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]>

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Kalle Korhonen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Jared Bunting
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As I commented in the ticket, I'm interested in the overlap with
> >> SHIRO-314.
> >
> > I'm interested in the topic as well and completely agree with Jared
> > that there's some overlap, which is also why the issue shouldn't go
> > into 1.2. OpenID4J shouldn't be on the critical path to 1.2 either,
> > it's a new support module.
> >
> >> That being said, I think that the goal of releasing 1.2.0 as soon as
> >> possible would be hampered by adding new features at this stage.  I
> >> vote that we target it for a 1.3.0M1 release.
> >
> > Thanks Les for putting in the work and sorry I didn't have time to
> > participate much this time around. My time has started to free up from
> > hectic development on the day job but other open source commitments
> > keep sucking all of it so far. I'm running multiple projects against
> > 1.2.0 snapshot and I've got a lot of releases pending, so the timing
> > for Shiro 1.2 is excellent.
>
> No worries Kalle - always glad to have your review though!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Les

Re: Prepping for the Shiro 1.2.0 release

Les Hazlewood
Administrator
Hi Thibault,

I think that can be within scope.  That you've included a patch will
make it much easier - thanks!

Cheers,

Les